Start Your Marketing Strategy Revamp With These 11 Questions
At least once a year, many marketers aim for a marketing strategy revamp. This is a good best practice. It doesn’t matter how successful your year was — a little reflection and some tweaks will set you up for another showcase year. Here are the 11 areas I like to tinker with when planning.
Traditional Marketing Strategy RevampMany traditional marketing revamps look at three areas
- Popular trends
11 Ideas For Revamping Your Marketing Strategy In 2019I like questions that implore you to think. So, the 11 areas I like to look at for a marketing strategy revamp are listed as questions below. See how many you can answer clearly … and how many make you take pause for next year’s planning.
- What market(s) are you currently pursuing? Are you leaving any out (why)?
- Are you immediately meeting the motivations and needs of your target customers? Why or why not?
- Do each of my products/services have their own unique selling proposition (USP)? Is it clearly stated somewhere? Where?
- Are my product/service USPs “pitched” to each of my target groups?
- How is your company different from others like it; what is your primary differentiation strategy?
- Does my primary differentiation strategy connect with the most urgent motivations and needs of my target customer?
- Is our pricing model creating benefits or negatives for my business?
- Who are my top competitors? What are they doing right/wrong that creates a threat/opportunity for my business?
- Where do we promote our products/services? Is this where our target customers buy?
- What is working the best and what is failing miserably with our current marketing strategy? (be HONEST!)
- Is there anything preventing us from pursuing/executing our marketing strategy or marketing strategy revamp? What? Why? Who?
Set Your GoalsWelcome back! If those questions seemed tough, I’m doing my job. These questions are tough for meto answer! Year after year, I struggle with questions 2, 4, 7, 8, and 11. I don’t think you’ll always have the perfect answer or the perfect marketing strategy. Therefore, that’s exactly why you need to plan a marketing strategy revamp at least once a year. When you’re setting your goals, get specific (not lofty). Areas I like to goal encompass …
- Increase in leads or lead consultations (percentage increase over last year)
- Social traffic to our website should increase by X%
- I’d like to see engagement rates on our social channels increase by X%
Virginia Sanz Sanchez is the blogger for this site and the author of several best-selling digital marketing books. She is an acclaimed digital marketing, HR and business consultant. Contact Virginia Sanz to have her speak to your company event or conference soon.
In "Blogging Best Practice"
In "Social Media Best Practice"